Sunday, 28 February 2010

Like father, like son

We met up with Paul again a couple of weeks ago and I was struck once more by the mannerisms, facial expressions and attitudes which remind me of Hugh. We were taking him and his older brother, Nathan to the cinema this time, but Keith and I had parked in a very muddy, puddle-filled open air car park and after lunch, Paul and I went for a short wander past the car park into Exchange Square to have a closer look at this. This link will show you a clearer photo of this beautiful and unusual sculpture by Welsh artist Amber Hiscott, to be found close to the Law Courts. Perhaps unusually for a six year old, Paul was very interested in this work of art and insisted on going up to have a closer look and even standing inside in order to see the effect of the coloured glass panels. The sculpture is a homage to Delius, who was born in Bradford, but Paul  just knew that his teacher had told his class about this sculpture and now he could tell her that he had seen it.
Afterwards, we had a short discussion about the coat of arms above the entrance to the Law Courts and I explained to him something of what happens in a court.
"If someone steals my car when I'm grown up," he said, "I'll send them to court and they'll go to prison for a decade." A little optimistic, maybe, but when questioned, he was able to tell me what a decade meant.
Going out of the car park, he resisted my attempts to persuade him to hold my hand in case of traffic.
"I am six, you know," he said, "I'm not a baby!"
Definitely his father's son in so many ways.

4 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

How wonderful that, ever more clearly, you see reflections of Hugh in your grandson. I hope you get to see little Paul regularly and are able to spend more "quality time" with him.

Jennyta said...

Thanks, YP. I hope we will too.

WendyCarole said...

It's great that you can see Hugh in your grandson.

I love that sculpture. But don't get to see it often. As i rarely go that way.

Jennyta said...

It was the first time I had seen it, WendyCarole but I was very impressed by it.