Sunday, 19 June 2011

Father's Day

Today being Fathers' Day, my thoughts naturally turn to Hugh as a father. During one of the rough patches in his relationship with Paul's mother, when Paul was a toddler, he had gone to stay with friends in Birkenhead and I collected him and Paul to spend a day with us. For some reason, it's a day which has always stuck in my mind and I have spent the last two hours searching fruitlessly for the other photos which I know I took of Hugh and Paul at the playground across the field. Sadly, there is no trace of them and I can only think that they were among the photos I lost when my laptop was stolen in France.
But I did find this one, taken the Christmas after Hugh and Paul's mother had split up.
So many unspoken thoughts.....

4 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Jenny that is a lovely picture of a young father and son together. Their smiles say it all but given what happened and please don't misunderstand me for saying this - I think the slogan on Hugh's T-shirt turned out, ironically, to be rather apt. He should still be here.

Jennyta said...

I hadn't actually noticed the slogan, YP but you are absolutely right. :)

Tish Jett said...

My God, I am so, so sorry. Perhaps there is some comfort in the picture that clearly shows such joy and complicity between father and son.

I don't want to say anything trite. I am amazed and admire your beautifully expressed sentiments. Sometimes being a mother can break one's heart.

Tishxx

Jennyta said...

Thank you for your kind comment, Tish. It's much appreciated.